Monday, October 11, 2010

Making Rubrics

I actually love making rubrics!!! I like thinking them through.... This skill at excellence level looks like... at good level looks like.... at ok level looks like... and at unacceptable level looks like... I also love the idea of involving the children and letting them define the different skills and how they will be represented. I really think that this can have the effect of empowering them. And, I know that for me, when I look over a rubric for an upcoming assignment it helps to stimulate thoughts or to organize my ideas, I would hope that this kind of exercise, along with student participation would have the same effect for the students. Also I think that it can help to see "huummmp, if I do this (say turn it in late) it will have this reaction (loose 5 pts.). I think that putting it down in wrtiing helps me as ateacher to remain accountable and for the students allows them to feel more stable (or trust) in a more predictable.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Stacy. That rubrics help. I was wondering what you thought about whether or not to have extensive rubrics or simplistic ones. I think it was in the MGRP that she talks about simplifying rubrics and only putting in the highest expectations instead of laying out all the categories.
    When I look at the rubric I tend only to look at the Exemplary parts. As a teacher I would like to make all the distinctions but is it necessary to put it down for everyone? I have never made a rubric and am looking for feedback and insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience has been that I only look at the exemplary column also but I think that is because I just want to have to do what I have to do to get the grade. Where the details have helped me, however, is in grading. That way there is no, or less, room for biases. It holds me to a standard that we have put in writing. And then if we always allow for corrections then this seems more fair to me then trying to remember how I handled a particular situation 100 papers ago so that I can do it the same with this paper in order to be fair. I can also see where being overly detail oriented is just too much. I think that maybe for bigger projects that involve more student effort that we should put forth equal effort in evaluation. It seems to me that this is better than just a grade that does not show what you did well and areas for improvement, so that we can continue to grow even after your project is submitted.

    ReplyDelete