Monday, October 4, 2010

Crafting 10-12 and Karen Article

I have really enjoyed this book!!! I wonader if she would come and give us a presentation? I love that she gives us methods to think about and direct hands on ways of implementation to mull over. Even if a particular activity is not within our particular "style" it at least provides a starting point for us to be able to develop something that will fit us as individuals.
I was reading along and thinking that I was all orginal and that I had the greatest idea. I would like to suggest an idea of having the children having a form  that has columns on it that have titles along the lines of 1) Name of the skill (The What). 2) Why it is good. 3) Put it in your own words 4) What to do next/ How to apply. I am envisioning these columns across the top of the page and then a "Try It's" section. And I just want everyone to know that I came up with this idea before reading about any "Student Conference Sheet" on page 175! I was quite amazed that she tried to steel my idea like that ;). The sheets could be part of the students working resource binder (like along with spelling and vocabulary words).
The one and only criticism that I have with this shole book is the use of a compliment in what I see as a comparison of an individual against other students. I do not care for the "You are doing something well that other students are not yet doing". I can see framing this into an age or grade level accomplishment "You are doing something that I don't usually see until the 3rd grade or for a 6 year old you are doing something that children don't usually get until they are 9. For me personally this omits the competition from this specific classroom and places it back upon the student as an individual.
The article presents quite a delimena. After I read it all I can come up with is that hopefully with the further development and implementation of Professional Learning Communities and the use of Rubrics as assessment tool that the Communities will help to build upon the strengths of a teacher and help to absorb the shorcomings (or varried interpretations) of the individual teachers also.

No comments:

Post a Comment