Monday, September 13, 2010

Sound Systems

You know I find myself reading and wondering why almost at the same time... I am very disappointed that this book spends so much time trying to explain the world outside of the realm of sound systems (i.e.- Why would they even attempt to reason how school days and programs are organized at different locales?) and not spend more on the forms of assessment and applications? Perhaps they could be more specific (it is not always convenient to flip back to chapter two to see what they are reffering to. I personalyy even would have been happier with a "less is more" approach).
On the positive, I liked the applications and I found the examples stimulating and applicable. I LOVE "Ignore errors that are on phonics concepts taught at higher developmental levels" (Lyon, 2003, p.41). This approach really rings true for me. I also connect with the idea of allowing children to push themselves and "test the waters" with skills that they have yet to master but are begining to develop without penalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment