Monday, September 20, 2010

"Crafting Writers" 1-6

Hale has forever separated the skills of reading and writing for me. I agree I have always had a pretty strong intuition as to when something is well written and from now on will try to focus more concreteness upon why.
Hale's techniques of  connecting the children with their writing, giving them styles to choose from, providing crafted anchors to cling to and grab onto, not traditional labels that may confuse them, all resonates with and challenge me. She speaks to providing new motivation and ownership for the students to write from and with. She points out that writing workshops naturally lend themselves to stratification of learning and skill abilities. She provides helpful reflections upon developmental levels to construct meaningful instruction for children. Information is provided in a non threatening, open, individualized manner. Acknowledging that we will be able to help provide platforms, groundwork, and foundations for our learners but to keep in mind that it also a life long process with many contributors.
Above all she points out that reading is not writing!! "Writing entails placing words down with nothing but blank space ahead" (p.66). I can feel the anxiety of facing that paper (or blog screen) and knowing that I have to write something, but what??? when I read that.
I have very much enjoyed reading this book so far, I like the way that she crafts her writing. I feel as if I am reading something very fluent and organized but that I am interested in and learning a great deal of what seems to have been right in front of me all the while. I look forward to gaining more craft in the coming chapters.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are a good writer just by reading this blog. I was attracted to your variety of sentence structures, the nice vocabulary that was understandable but not too common, the use of dialogue, etc. I'm really starting the grasp how to recognize a good writer! I enjoyed the chapters so far that we've read. Like you, I felt the author's talents were evident. She did make the writing exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, You are too sweet. Thank you. I like reading this book for the same reasons that you stated. The words are intentional but they do not seem overworked or showy. But you do come away from some sentences thinking "that was well written". Also the book seems to be saying here is one way to do it... Here is how I do it and why I do it that way. It may or may not work for you. I never get the feel that she is "telling" us how to do something but more like showing.

    ReplyDelete