Monday, September 6, 2010

Community Dig

On Saturday, September 7, 2010, I and 4 of my class mates attended a well known and loved community event in a far off town. The event boasts activities for both the young and the young at heart. Items were to be created and items were to be admired and even purchased. In our community dig I played the roll of the verbal recorder. I observed and recorded bits of talk.

We arrived at the event at about 1 o'clock in the afternoon. The first area that I observed was the one that had art attivities for children to do. Four different styles of conversation were witnessed:
  1. Volunteers were giving directions and encouragement to children artists.
    • "That's very nice, I like those colors together"
    • "Isn't that awsome? Do you want to do another spot?"
    • "You use Sharpies, any colors that you want. Make dots or any pattern that you want."
  2. Parents were talking with other parents around the perimeters of the art activities.
    • "There is big money in horses"
    • "She's 2 and a half."
    • "Hi, I saw the announcement."
  3. Conversations of the crowds moving around outside the perimeter of the art activities. 
    • "I'll wander around and circle back."
    • "You really wan to, I'll do it."
  4. Conversations between parents and children.
    • "Are you gonna put some paint on it like this?"
    • "Momma, can I go see what the other station is?"
After standing still for while I moved around within the crowd to experience what conversations could be witnessed while participating in this manner. Two modes were represented. The first mor formal and the second more informal.
  1. Vendors and shoppers were discussing wares.
    • "I have a store."
    • "Look at that, is it broken glass? Mirror?"
  2. People were relaxing in chairs talking and listening to music, being helpful with each other, and socializing with their friends.
    • "The last one needs paper."
    • "There is no paper in the last one."
After talking with my dig group I was very surprised at how event people reacted to the idea of snindividual being illerate I believe that one person said that people who could not read would be too emberassed to ask fo r help and another implied that there were no people who could not read. As an implications for teaching we could work towards makinf our students aware of this ever prevelant problem and how to assist individauls whild maintaining their dignity! I was also surprised that even as students we only "dug" for artifacts in one language (English). The only evidence of any other language that I witnessed were among the attendees I heard a woman talking on her phone in a foriegn language and I saw a Mom and her daughter speaking in Spanish.
I really felt that considering the diversity of the community that this event was held in that organizers should have done more (much more) to make this event accessible to all. Signs were monolingual, small print, and not easily seen. Signs for children were not at child eye level. The information booth was in the middle of the event.
    • "I hate her, she's one of those girls. She is definately hot and cold."
  1.  

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry!As I was trying to polish (spell check and such) this blog it erased on me!!!! Almost cried! So after about 20 min. of searching I finally found it and then somehow prematurely managed to post it. Oh also the bullet goes with the ones above... Don't know what happened there either.... Please bear with me, I will get it. (I'll ask the kids to do tinext time! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,I agree with your monoculturaltake on the event. It reminded me of an observation made by Amy M. "The sign indicating hostility, [This area is being monitored by surveillance camera], was the only sign translated into Spanish." Let's face it,we live in a within a "protected" blue jewel, located in the center of a red state and some of us are only aware of white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems like the communities who always claim "to take pride" in diversity are also the ones who remain ignorant of what it means to accept diversity.

    i enjoyed reading your observations as they were recorded in an organized way.

    i don't understand the last quote at the bottom? is it supposed to be there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's certainly surprising that the event didn't have more varied language aspects to it. Bloomington can be very diverse and at the beginning of the school year it's particularly important to welcome our new community members, many of which come for the purpose of attending IU. I would have thought there would be more literature in a variety of languages. I wonder if Lotus is more cognizant of that than the 4th street fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly enjoyed your point concerning the dignity of persons. I too have seen that it is a common practice to strip individuals of what should be assumed dignity simply because they either speak non-standard or no english at all. You are right in noting that we should make a point of noting this issue, especially as teachers, if not only to help our students understand each-other's dignity, but to also remind ourselves of the same (as I am afraid we all have more biases and prejudices than we wish to admit even to ourselves). Excellent insight.

    Also, concerning the 4th Street Fair: I have lived in this town for what will soon be 11 years, and I have neither heard of nor seen this fair until this past weekend (and I'd like to believe I haven't been living under a rock). I think it is safe to say that they have some work to do in reaching out to the University and hopefully drawing a more diverse crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful observations, Stacy! Your observation about language powerfully illustrates that we only see what we know: "I was also surprised that even as students we only "dug" for artifacts in one language (English)."

    What are the implications of this for our literacy teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dianna,
    No the bullet at the bottom was due to my lack of skill and susposed to go up with the others.
    Patti and Arthur
    You know for some reason this fair has always seemed to me to be not about IU at all. More of a "local crafted art" type of thing. Like Bloomington's answer to Brown Counties Nashville. An opportunity for locals to vnd their wares. They have grown and grown and grown. I think that it is time for them to reconsider their place in our community and update some of their practices. They are no onger the little fair on the corner....
    My experiences as Lotus, while limited, have had a much more well rounded welcome to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your perspective is interesting. Even though I was there also I had a different experience. For example, I did not hear anyone in our group discussion say that they did not think anyone was illiterate. It just shows how different people interpret the same words differently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Molly,
    Don't know if it matters or not but...I was reffering to what one member said that a vendor said.....Not that a member of our group thought that. I believe that she said something to the effect that the vendor said that those people don't come here? Could be way off but that is what i thought I heard?

    ReplyDelete